Monday, March 23, 2009

A Few New Parent Stories

So far, little Joshua seems to be doing well and gaining weight. He weighed 7 lbs. 1 oz. at birth. When we left the hospital, he was 6 lbs. 12 oz., and at the pediatrician's office last Tuesday was down to 6 lbs. 7.5 oz., which was still less than 10% lost from his birth weight. When we returned last Thursday, he had returned to 6 lbs. 12 oz., and I feel like he's been continuing to gain since then. If nothing else, he is eating well and often :) We return to the pediatrician's on Friday for his two week checkup.

There were a few funny stories from last week. The first one, I'll tell on myself. Last Wednesday I had gotten up and was getting ready. We had changed him, fed him and put him in his car seat until I could finish preparing to go on our first trip to my mom's house. He started crying in his seat, but being the disciplined parent that I was trying to be, I knew I had to get ready and as long as he's cared for (changed, fed, etc.), it's not a terrible tragedy to let him cry a bit. So I continued with my preparations around the bedroom and bathroom for a few more minutes. When I passed his car seat and peaked at him, I realized that his hat had fallen down over his eyes. I laughed and moved it back up. He was quickly consoled :).

Andy had been christened by our little guy a few times now. First, he peed on his changing table on the Pack-n-Play, wetting both the changing area and his bassinet. He peed on mom at her house, though she was a little smarter to have him on a full sized bath towel on the bed, where he only got the towel. He got me twice yesterday, wetting the changing pad and getting a bit on our bedspread. (He also always gets it on himself...but nothing a baby wipe can't fix :))

In my opinion, our most humorous experience so far was his first bath. Last Tuesday night, we finally decided to make time to clean him up. The nurses had shown us in the hospital how to use wet baby washcloths and baby shampoo to clean his body then his hair without getting his umbilical cord wet and being careful of his circumcision. So we put the bathtub on the kitchen counter (where we could use the sprayer on his hair), got our washcloths, towel and shampoo and began cleaning him. He cried like crazy, as being cold and wet apparently wasn't his favorite thing. As we started the shampooing, the fountain started. He peed on himself (no problem this time, as he was already being washed), on Andy a little bit, into the sink but mostly into his bathtub when Andy began to block it. Since it had no water in the tub (they told us just to use the wet washcloths so he couldn't splash himself), we found our little guy sitting in his own pee. We decided to finish the bath by Andy holding him while I finished washing and rinsing him. While Andy was holding him, he did #2 in Andy's hand! I quickly grabbed the baby and let Andy clean his hand. We finished washing his hair and quickly got him in his towel. He much preferred being wrapped in the towel to being wet, but nevertheless, he proceeded to do #1 and #2 in his towel before we could get him dressed! We about laughed our heads off through the entire experience...and made sure to Lysol the kitchen sink and clean out his bathtub afterward. I'll just say the second bath, which Mom and I gave him this morning, went much more smoothly :)

2 comments:

Wilson Family said...

I have to say the bathtub story is quite hilarious and I totally remember all the peeing and pooping. I don't think Cameron ever actually pooped in our hands but he shot it across the room onto the couch one time and peed on the stereo speaker. Boys!

Treesh Family said...

Keep the funny stories coming our way! We are glad to see that he has such a sense of humor! We can't wait to meet him in person...thank goodness for your blog so that we can see pictures!
We love you! Isaac and Kyle